Property Insurance Claims & Disputes
Since 1998, Kristin “Kristi” Demers-Crowell has traveled the State of Florida handling commercial and residential building damage claims, including hundreds of losses from fires, hurricanes, tornados, lightning, sinkholes, collapse, pipe bursts, water intrusion, theft, vandalism and other causes. From Pensacola to Jacksonville to Orlando to Tampa Bay to Miami, Kristi pushes insurance companies to pay what they owe building owners. Kristi focuses her practice on Commercial and Residential Property Insurance Claims, Business Interruption, Bad Faith Litigation, and Insurance Agent Negligence. From condominiums and homeowners associations to residential homes, churches, marinas, restaurants and other businesses, Kristi handles losses from the start of the claims process through appraisal and trial.
Ms. Demers-Crowell is AV-rated through Martindale-Hubbell and is also rated 10/10 (Superb) by Avvo.com.
A native of St. Petersburg, Florida, Kristi grew up in the legal community there, watching her father serve as a judge for over 30 years and her mother practice law and serve as a college dean. She obtained her Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, from Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana, and her Juris Doctor from Stetson University College of Law in St. Petersburg, Florida, where she served on the Law Review and was a national competitor on the law school’s top ranked Trial Team.
Kristi began her career in 1998 with the oldest law firm in St. Petersburg, Harris, Barrett, Mann & Dew, LLP, where she managed large volumes of insurance defense cases. In 2000, Kristi had the opportunity to serve as a law clerk for Federal Magistrate Judge Thomas B. McCoun, III, in the Tampa Division of the Middle District of Florida, and assisted in writing decisions in insurance matters and other disputes.
Upon returning to private practice in 2002, Kristi knew she wanted to represent the public and help businesses and families recover from disasters. She forces insurers to handle claims, quickly, properly and fairly so her clients can get their lives and businesses back to normal as soon as possible.
Kristi has achieved an AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- Stetson University College of Law, St. Petersburg, Florida
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: Stetson Law Review
- Stetson Trial Team
- Ralph Harris Ferrell Competition Award
- Victor O. Wehle Trial Advocacy Award
- William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award
- Pinellas County Guardian Ad Litem
- Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude
- “What Else Do We Cover? Extra Coverages,” April 2006
- Contributing Author, Thompson Reuters/West Treatise, CAT Claims: Insurance Coverage for Natural and Man-Made Disasters
- “Property Insurance Coverage and Claims,” The People’s Law School, sponsored by the Clearwater Bar Association and St. Petersburg College, February 18, 2010
- “Speed Adjusting: A Fast and Furious Look at the Concerns and Considerations of Insurance Claims and How They Can Affect Public Adjusting,” FAPIA Summer Conference 2009
- “It’s How You Play the Game,” 2008 NAPIA/MAPIA INSURANCE SEMINAR, October 2008
- “Insurance Claim Do’s and Don’ts,” 2008 FAPIA Summer Meeting, June 20, 2008
- “Flood Zones, Sinkholes & Hurricanes! – Casualty Loss Coverage,” Clearwater Bar Association / Pinellas Realtors Organization, February 13, 2007
- “Preserving the Property Insurance Claim: Experts, Estimates, and Evidence,” National Federation of Paralegal Associations, Inc. Annual Convention, October 18, 2007
- “Weathering the Storm: Preparing for the Future,” Community Associations Institute (CAI), Association of Professional Community Managers Regional Conference, Florida Region, November 10, 2006
- “Florida Sinkhole Litigation,” Tampa Bay Paralegal Association, Inc., 2006
- “Weathering the Storm: A Property Manager’s Guide to Natural Disasters and Insurance Claims,” Rampart Properties (Private Presentation), July 27, 2006
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice
- Florida Justice Association
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- St. Petersburg Bar Association
- Clearwater Bar Association
- Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (FAPIA)
- Windstorm Insurance Network
- Phi Delta Phi
- Kappa Alpha Theta