FLORIDA: INJURED CYCLISTS STATISTICS AT AN ALL-TIME HIGH
In Tampa and all of Florida, under bike law, bicycles are legally defined as motor vehicles. So, bicyclists have the same rights to the roadways and must obey the same traffic laws as other vehicle operators.
It is then up to bicyclists and motorists to treat each other with care and respect. Strict adherence to the law is the foundation for this respect. However, a report released in 2018 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that 857 adult bicyclists died from traffic-related crashes in the United States – the highest number in two decades.
And according to a recent report published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2018, there were 6,568 bicycle accidents in Florida, resulting in 148 deaths and 6,175 injured cyclists.
Many reasons explain why the Sunshine State is one of the most dangerous places for bicyclists, including:
- Wide and fast roadways
- Lack of safety education
- Reckless drivers causing bike accidents
- Under-equipped bicyclists and unfamiliarity with bicycle safety
- Yearlong riding weather
- Lagging infrastructure and laws.
Bicycle accidents can cause some of the most catastrophic injuries that one can endure. So, if you or someone you love was injured in a bike accident, it’s important to know your legal rights.
At Christopher Ligori and Associates, our bicycle accident lawyers are passionate about helping people who have been hurt recover the compensation they deserve. We understand that no amount of money can replace what has been lost, but our goal is to help bicycle accident victims get back on their feet as quickly as possible so they can focus on healing.
Our lawyers have over 30 years of experience fighting for the rights of cyclists and pedestrians who were seriously injured by negligent drivers in bike accidents. We will fight hard to ensure you receive every penny that you are entitled to under bicycle laws!
THE DANGER OF BICYCLE ACCIDENTS
A bicycle accident can cause serious injuries to your brain, spine and organs. These bicycle injuries often cause lifelong disabilities and can include partial or total paralysis.
Other serious bicycle accident injuries include:
- broken bones,
- road rash,
- injuries to the knee, neck, back or shoulder, and
- other serious injuries.
These permanent injuries can be incredibly stressful on injured bicyclists because treatment can be expensive. In a severe bicycle accident case, treatment may even include lifelong care. With the possibility of lost wages and medical bills, the financial strain of the bicycle crash can be difficult to navigate.
Unfortunately, insurance companies are not always willing to pay your medical bills or compensate for lost wages if you were injured while riding your bike. You need an experienced personal injury attorney on your side who will fight for every penny that you deserve.
The Ligori Law bicycle crash attorney team has helped many injured bicyclists recover compensation after being involved in bicycle crashes. Our team of bike accident attorneys will review all of the details surrounding your case and work tirelessly to make sure that you receive fair compensation for any injuries sustained during the accident.
We understand how devastating it can be when someone else’s negligence causes an injury or death of a loved one.
WHAT TO DO AFTER A BICYCLE ACCIDENT
Although no one can prepare for what to do after a bicycle accident, it’s important to keep some of these suggestions in mind to help you with a future bicycle accident claim.
When a bike accident happens, it’s important to stay calm and try not to let your emotions get the best of you. The other driver may apologize or offer some kind words which could help diffuse any tension between yourself and them–especially if they were at fault in this situation!
Contact details will be exchanged most of the time, and you will deal with the damage costs later.
Unfortunately, in some bicycle accident cases, the negligent driver might end up driver modifying their story to avoid covering the cost of the damages. Usually, because they had time to cool down, rationalize and reflect on the accident, or they have had a chat with a lawyer. Suddenly, they are not so apologetic and will not take any responsibility for damages or injuries you suffered.
So, to avoid the above situation as best as you can, here are a few things to keep in mind if you have been involved in a bicycle accident:
- Get off the road and deal with the incident away from moving traffic.
- If you suspect any serious injury, call an ambulance. You should always consult a doctor as soon as possible after the accident, even if you think it was minor. Usually, the adrenaline is pumping and will hide any pain or discomfort for a while. It’s not worth taking any chances, especially if you can prevent long-term suffering. Conditions such as brain injuries may mean a diminishing ability to recall the facts of your accident and may not be evident without a proper examination. A medical report will also be helpful in any future claims.
- Look for witnesses to confirm the incident details. Gather the witnesses’ contact details as well. These may save you a lot of trouble if the driver’s or rider’s story changes.
- Get the other party’s contact details and driver’s license number. To ensure that they gave you the correct contact details, get them to phone you on the spot.
- Take photos of anything significant with the accident scene that may be of use later ( for example, your injuries, damages, road “context”, road signs and the time of the accident). We all have camera phones these days, so this is a viable option to gather as much evidence as possible.
- Contact your personal injury lawyer before you speak to any insurance adjuster, even if it is your own insurance company. We know this too well: insurance companies often prioritise profit rather than people and might not be looking out for your best interests. This advice also applies to interaction with the insurance provider of the party at fault.
A BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYERS CAN HELP
If you or someone you love has been injured in a bicycle accident, it can be overwhelming to figure out what to do next.
You’re not alone, and we’re here to help. Our experienced personal injury attorneys at Christopher Ligori and Associates have the knowledge and expertise needed to successfully represent clients who have sustained injuries due to another’s negligence. We will fight for your rights and get the compensation that is rightfully yours.
Our goal is simple – we want every one of our clients to receive fair compensation for their injuries in personal injury cases so they can focus on healing instead of worrying about how they will pay medical bills or make up lost wages.
To learn more about how a Ligori Law bicycle accident lawyer can help you after a bicycle collision or discuss your bicycle accident claim with an experienced Tampa personal injury lawyer, call us now at 877-444-2929 for a free legal consultation.